Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Lucky 7 Strikes for Revenge!

I have fallen foul of the evil machinations of the world-threatening villainess, Jen 'Stavrina Blogfeld'. But I shall bear my burden with a stiff upper lip and good humour as is dictated by 'The Gentleman's Creed', as written by Dr. Watson, under guidance from his dear friend, and colleague, Mr. Sherlock Holmes.


Under the Blogosphere Convention of 1805, page 77, line 7, entitled: 'The Lucky 7 Meme', I must respond in keeping with blog etiquette and law, or else suffer the penalty as listed within the Blogosphere Book of Punishment 1806.

These are the rules:

  1. Go to page 77 of your current MS.
  2. Go to line 7.
  3. Copy down the next 7 lines as they are written - DO NOT cheat!
  4. Tag 7 other writers and let them know.

Line seven of my story takes us into a forest clearing where a group of monks are taking shelter from a particularly heavy thunder storm, and are preparing to set camp for the night to come. The monks are six in number, whittled down from thirteen over the years of travelling in their tasked search for a place to build anew, as divined by the staff carried by their head monk, Silas.

***

A sharp crack of thunder pealed overhead, several of the monks jumped in surprise. The sky above
continued to rumble with its own, deep-throated growling, as flashes of sterile light stabbed at their eyes. One of the monks let slip a profanity.  All eyes turned to stare at the monk in question.
  With a shrug, Avaar said, "I am but a man, blessed Light forgive me."
  Lucius chuckled appreciatively.
  Silas gave a cough, then spoke, "This would seem as good a place as any for us to take shelter and 
rest for the remainder of this storm, and I suggest, for the coming night."

***

Now for my nominations:

Creepy Query Girl

Claudia Del Balso

Robert Lee Brewer

Deborah Walker

Chris Galvin

Apologies if I've selected you and you do not wish to participate, but as a blogging community it's all about getting to know each other, visiting new blogger sites and communicating - plus it's a great way of gaining exposure to a wider audience.

But a big 'thank you' in advance for taking part. I alone will be looking forward to reading snippets of work posted as a result of the ' Lucky 7 ' - or in my case, Lucky 7 -2!

10 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

Cool! You're the second person to tag me with this so it looks like I have no choice;) I like where your 777 took us! Lots said in little words:)

Mark K said...

So glad you're cool with it, Katie!

I tweaked the Lucky 7 badge, so feel free to copy and paste if you prefer it :)

Deborah Walker said...

Wow. Great writing. There's some great description in that short fragment:

"The sky above continued to rumble with its own, deep-throated growling, as flashes of sterile light stabbed at their eyes."

Thanks so much for the tag. It always fun when you know someone is thinking about you.

Mark K said...

Thank you for those kind words. I'm always a tentative about nominating folks, as I know full well these kind of things don't carry any weight, but as I keep saying: it's all about the blogger community.

So glad you decided to take part :)

Lydia Kang said...

Congrats on getting tagged! That was a really nice excerpt. :)

Mark K said...

Thank you for joining us - I hope? Looking forward to reading your words sometime soon, Lydia :)

Mina Lobo said...

I especially enjoyed that "sterile light" descriptor as well! Nicely done!

Claudia Zurc said...

OMG, Mark! Thank you for the nomination. LOL! When I got your message I started laughing because the night before I told a dear friend of mine, "I hope I don't get tagged again", and voila, here was your tag. :D
Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate because it's been two crazy weeks at work (have you noticed how late I posted last week and haven't been able to answer comments?) :(
I do, however, thank you for the shout-out.

Mark K said...

The moral of this tale is: get to know more writers! ;)

It's ok, Claudia, I fully understand. I've lived with rejection all my life... sniff! I guess I'll just... sniff! move along, you know... sniff! It's hard not being loved --

Ok, I'll stop with the teasing :) As I said, no problem. It's great that you stopped by and told me. We must do afternoon tea and croissants some time soon, darling. Must tootles now.

Pip pip!

Mark

Claudia Zurc said...

Thanks for cyber tea and croissants, Mark. Delicious, indeed! (Although for me it was breakfast or brunch due to time zone difference) ;)