Thursday 23 January 2014

Blubeats Gravity & Rokono Bass+ - A Product Review

In the run-up to Christmas, my wife and I had our usual, pre-Christmas chat regarding what we would not be buying for each other. So, we narrowed it down to a single item present each. Fair enough, I thought. But then, what do I buy?

The answer wasn't too far in coming forward: a portable speaker for my wife's Mac Airbook. Vanessa (my wife) had admired a small Rokono Bass+ portable speaker I had bought for use in the garage when I trained (*sob* oh, how I miss that beloved garage now *sob!*), having it plugged into my iPad.

The Rokono is a little gem, and ideal for mobile phones, iPods, Macs & PCs and any gaming device with a 3.5mm audio jack socket.

But as my wife is a little deaf, I wanted to get her something with more 'Oomph!' And I found it in the form of Blubeats Gravity.

* please note, all prices/offers on both items were correct at time of writing *

So I've found both review videos I watched before making my final purchase decisions on each product for you to watch and listen to. At the end of each I'll post my 'pros' and 'cons' on each item.



ROKONO BASS+


PROS:
  • Pricing - competitive and affordable.
  • Small and compact.
  • Portable and light to carry in your rucksack, bag, etc.
  • Up to 10 hours playing time on one charge.
CONS:
  • Sound tends to distort slightly at full volume.
  • Heavy bass tracks cause device to 'shuffle' about on smooth surfaces - danger of falling off worktops, etc.
  • Twist and open action to enable the extra bass effect can be a bit reluctant at times.
  • It will roll off any surface if unplugged and knocked, so beware, long drops can prove lethal.

BLUBEATS GRAVITY


PROS:
  • Excellent build quality.
  • Excellent sound & volume.
  • Good weight so stands solidly.
  • Excellent bass and treble.
  • Multi-functional, i.e. will handle hands-free calls through built-in mic if connected to your mobile.
  • Bluetooth 4.0 connects flawlessly.
  • Radio function.
  • USB port for MP3 playback.
  • Soft base padding enhances bass sound - this device uses surfaces as an amplification method, i.e. table top, bookcase shelf, etc - makes an amazing difference.
CONS:
  • Price - advertised at £49.99, but was on offer for £39.99 when I bought it. Shop around.
  • Volume controls - these are on the underside and touch sensitive and paired with the fwd/back controls for track selection. I also found that quite often it would go from max volume to zero if my finger tip was incorrectly placed. Overly sensitive for my liking.
  • Only made in blue.
Conclusion - all-in-all, the Blubeats would be my selection each time, but if it's a budget you are working to, then you can't go far wrong with the Rokono Bass+ (plus it doesn't need a resonating surface to maximise its sound potential).

No comments: