Friday 17 April 2015

A-Z Day 15

Copyright ©2015 Mark Kelly.
O is for Outlandos D'Amour.

When it comes to music and my personal tastes I like to consider myself to be somewhat of an eclectic connoisseur - no, only joking. I'm never that knowledgable. But I do like to think I have a broad and varied taste when it comes to music.

Growing up I've always shied away from follow trends, be they fashion, music, literature, sport, etc. Granted, it made me seem like a loner, maybe even an outsider at times, but I'm just not really a 'follower of popular opinion' when it comes to such things. That said, I did however adopt one band as my own: The Police. If you are a fan, then there is an official website for news, photos and interviews with and about 'The Police', which you can access by clicking HERE.

Outlandos D'Amour was the second album by The Police I ever owned and bought for myself - the first album of theirs I owned was bought for me by my older brother - their second album release: Regatta De Blanc. Blown away by what I heard I was hooked. Not because any of my peers liked them, or they were the trendy thing to like, but purely because their music thrummed through my inner being, maybe even my young, teenage soul. Whatever it did I was a 'fan'. I think the reality of it was, the music they produced was indicative of the late 70s going into the 80s: a time of fresh, new sights and sounds. It was one of many voices that spoke for my generation. For that, I'll always be forever grateful. If truth be told, as a young teen, I wanted to be like Sting. Who wouldn't?

The Police are a band I've followed through my life and when Sting went solo I followed his musical career up to a point. They will always be one of the main bands to have been responsible for a plethora of signature tunes through my life as a teenager, especially some of the tracks produced on their Ghost in the Machine album, bought as a surprise present by my first fiancée, back in 1981/82. Thank you, S.

No comments: